Certified Nursing Assistants are renewed by the department in two groups:
* Group 1 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, May 31, 2015. Licenses that expired December 31, 2012 will go null and void on January 01, 2015 if not renewed.
Group 2 -current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, May 31, 2016. Licenses that expired December 31, 2013 will go null and void on January 01, 2016 if not renewed.
In order to renew the CNA license at the end of the two year renewal cycle, CNAs are required to perform nursing-related services for monetary compensation within the last 24 consecutive months in order to remain on the registry.
Licensees who fail to meet these requirements must reapply for licensure and comply with current laws and rules. Licensees who have become Null and Void or elected to Voluntary Relinquish their CNA license, must reapply for licensure and meet current requirements.
All CNAs must complete a minimum of 12 hours of in-service training each calendar year. Every 2 years, in-service training hours shall include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Bloodborne Pathogens, Infection Control
- Domestic Violence
- Medical Record Documentation and Legal Aspects Appropriate to Nursing Assistants
- Resident Rights
- Communication with cognitively impaired clients
- CPR skills
- Medical Error Prevention and Safety
Florida Administrative Code
Section 64B9-15.011: In-Service Training Requirements for Certified Nursing Assistants
Section 64B-11.001: Certified Nursing Assistant Certification Renewal
To Renew go to: http://floridasnursing.gov/renewals/certified-nursing-assistant/